Thursday, September 8, 2005

More stuff

This past Sunday we took a drive to see our good friends Tom & Ro. They live in Yonkers, NY...where Herman grew up. Herman and Tom have been friends for more than 30 years!! Ro met Tom (and has been with him ever since!) about 28-29 years. They have 3 cute kids: Matt, Addison and Jack. They married 2 years after Herman and I did..it was the absolute MOST gorgeous wedding I've EVER been to! It was in Westhampton, NY on the beach. Not ON the beach but the hotel that they had the wedding was at was on the beach. Herman was best man and I was matron (God I HATE that term!!) of honor. The ceremony was on a patio facing the ocean. the reception was in a room with high vaulted ceilings and blue & white canvas' draping down from the ceiling. BREATHTAKING! Anyway, we had a great time with them. Always do! We ate, drank and we were merry! LOL! OK..two of us were merrier than the rest...Herman and Tom partook of Tom's famous Long Island Iced Teas. Trust me...one sip of that awful concoction and you'd be blind!! Well, the boys were toasted!! I saw this coming so I allowed myself a beer early on and soda after that. I drove home..ugh. I never really drive Herman's car (2005 Maxima) so it was a rought ride home. (I drive a Ford F150 SuperCrew cab truck. Bigger IS better!!) I know my way home like the back of my hand but driving on the ever-so-windy Henry Hudson parkway in a car that has stiff handling..YIKES. And John yelling in the back of me, "Go FASTER Mom!! God, you're driving too slow!!" (one of the reasons that he'll never be allowed to get his license!!) didn't help. Ahh, we made it home safe and sound. My nerves were frayed but I survived.

I've heard from Jackie several times and I am SOOOOO happy to report that she wasn't crying during any of those phone calls!! Usually she's moaning, pleading, begging, borrow, stealing...wanting to come home. She's come to terms with being 3000 miles away from home. She told me tonight that it's actually kind of good that she's far away (DUH!) She has no one to rely on except herself. She loves her job. She's working lunches at a "mom & pop" restaurant. I'm so happy that this "recovery" program seems to be a prayer answered. For her family, anyway. I like that it's a "recovery" program rather than a rehab. She has never sone well in a rehab because she was bored. In a rehab program you just hang out and wait for the next meeting/therapy session/meal/cigarette break. It's boring. Here, she must work, she has house chores, she has to pay rent, she has to take public transportation...she has to be responsible for Jackie...something new for her! Please keep her in your prayers!! Thanks!

Kids went back to school on Tuesday. Rachel is a senior! Today we received the proofs for her senior pictures. It seems like just yesterday that I was shipping her off to kindergarten! How'd that happen?! John seems to like high school...more freedom, more older women!! LOL..That boy is workin' it! Becky likes school, too. She loves German! Thinks that she may one day want to be a German teacher! Go Becky!

Well, time for me to move on to other things...like the couch..

Peace!

No comments: